The Under-Utilizing Physicians page includes two tables that provide a perspective on a physician's use of hospice compared to all other physicians in the state within the same specialty. The right table, "Hospice Utilization Rate by Specialty," provides a baseline percentage of hospice utilization by specialty for the chosen State. The left table, "Under-Utilizing Physicians," contains a complete list of physicians in the state who submitted Medicare claims during the reporting period (last four quarters). It contains a comparable hospice utilization percentage that, when compared to the specialty table on the right, provides a measure of each physician's performance.
Physicians that have a lower Hospice Patient % than their peers in the same specialty may be missing opportunities to have conversations about hospice with hospice appropriate patients. Educating them may help influence their standard practices and lead to increased referrals.
The characteristics of their patient population will also impact their Hospice Patient %.
- From the Hospice Utilization Rate by Specialty table - select a specialty - preferably one with a higher percentage.
- Using the county or ZIP code filter - include a county or ZIP code that is geographically close.
- Using the specialty filter - include the specialty identified in Step 1.
- The goal is to find physicians whose matching percentage is lower than the State average.
- Sorting by Hospice Patient percent will allow you to scroll to find the physicians who are utilizing hospice below the average for their specialty.
- Select those physicians as favorites for further investigation.
It is important to evaluate why the physician is utilizing hospice below the average. By navigating to the Physician Detail Page for any physicians identified through these tables, you can further investigate their patient's demographics - Age, Major Diagnostic Categories, and location of residence.